The links below are helpful resources or responses to frequently asked questions that you might need as a tenant of Barnett & Hill.  Of course, if this page does not answer your questions, please contact me by phone or email.


Barnett & Hill is open 10-6 Monday through Friday and 10-2 Saturday.  Tenants can always reach maintenance by calling our office phone at 325.677.3500 to speak to the maintenance person on call.

tenant portal

As a tenant, you need to familiarize yourself with your tenant portal.  This is your go-to link when completing your initial move-in inventory, paying rent online, making repair requests, checking archived documents pertinent to your leasehold, and submitting general questions about your tenancy to Barnett & Hill. 


Repair requests should be submitted by logging into your tenant portal.  This is the surest way to initiate a conversation between the office, maintenance staff, the owner of your rental and you to get this problem resolved.  If you have an emergency, call 325-677-4428. 

move-in inventory

In the first three days of occupancy,  you should complete a move-in inventory.  You can access this through your tenant portal.  In your inventory, you should note any issues from the previous leasehold for which you do not wish to be held accountable.  Upon completion, submit your inventory and I will sign and deliver a copy of this inventory to keep with your lease. 

Owner portal

Owners can use their email to access the owner's portal.  First-time access will ask the owner to set up an account.  Portal will contain information regarding rentals, images of property and other information pertinent to your tenant's leasehold. 


When you signed your lease, you agreed to assume the responsibility of replacing  any damaged personal property.  For this reason, we recommend obtaining a renter's insurance policy to cover this obligation and these policies typically cost between $10-$12 each month.  

To simplify this process, we've partnered with the Blake Fulenwider Insurance Agency provide a straightforward approach to obtaining coverage.   Complete their brief questionaire to start this process.

electronic rent payments

Barnett & Hill uses Appfolio to manage online rent payments.  Tenants can log in to this site through Appfolio's tenant portal to pay using

  • electronic checks with no processing fee
  • credit and debit cards with a 2.8% processing fee
  •  money orders using PaySlip.  Tenants can request an emailed PaySlip barcode from Barnett & Hill.  When they purchase a money order at 7-11 to pay rent, they also present their unique bar code as an image on their phone and this links the purchase of the money order with their rent payment.


Many of our houses are non-smoking houses.  Smoking is not allowed in apartments at The Quarters, Hillcrest House and Mesquite Square.  If you are a smoker and think you might smoke on the sly, guess again; the majority of your neighbors expect a non-smoking apartment complex and they will convey your lease violation to the office and you will be evicted.  Our policy is not discriminatory as smokers are not a protected class and our justification of this policy can be read on this site.

cable television

Cable television is provided at Mesquite Square, Brookhollow Garden Apartments, Hillcrest House, and The Quarters  free-of-charge.  This service is provided by Suddenlink and includes basic and extended basic cable.  If you wish to add internet or additional channels, this will be your expense.  If you are having a problem with cable service or would like to add serivces, call Suddenlink at 325.698.3585.

breaking your lease

Occasions arise when tenants need to break their lease agreement.  We will work with you, but the costs associated with breaking your lease depends on several factors.  Read our thoughts on breaking your lease to understand if it is the best option for you.


Atmos Energy is the sole provider of gas service. Their number is 1-800-460-3030 and, typically, will provide same-day connection of your gas service. 


When initiating power in Abilene in town, you need to know that all power lines are maintained by AEP (you may be prompted for this information if registering online).  Also, you can choose your electric company by comparing rates on the Texas power deregulation website to find the most inexpensive provider by zip code. 

Rural homes typically rely exclusively on Taylor County Electric Cooperative for their power.  You do not have choices regarding your provide in this case. They can be reached at 325-793-8500 and information regarding their services can be found on their website.


If you are moving to or from another address, you can request a change of address through the USPS website.  Also, if you plan to be gone for an extended period, you can request that your mail be held until you return through the same site.


The Abilene ISD offers a link to find your neighborhood's elementary, middle or high school. Search by the street address of your residence to locate your child's school.

privacy policy

We have a defined privacy policy to ensure that you privacy is maintained and to safeguard the information you provided at the outset of your tenancy.

brokerage services

Barnett & Hill is a full-service real estate brokerage.   In addition managing your rental, we can also assist you with the purchase or sale of your next home.